The first meeting of the newly reconstituted Governing Council of National Council for Promotion of Sindhi Language (NCPSL) was held recently in New Delhi under the Chairpersonship of Human Resource Development Minister.
- Several key decisions like increasing the award money etc. were taken at the meeting.
- It was also decided in the Meeting to provide Rs.1.00 crore for the establishment of Sindhi Chair in Maharishi Dayanand Saraswati University, Ajmer.
About National Council for Promotion of Sindhi Language (NCPSL):
NCPSL is an Autonomous body, fully funded and established by the Government of India, Ministry of H.R.D. Department of Education to Promote, develop and propagate Sindhi Language. It was established in 1994.
Objectives of the Council:
- To promote, develop and propagate Sindhi Language.
- To take action for making available in Sindhi Language, the knowledge of Scientific and Technical
- Terminological development as well as the knowledge.
- To advise the Government of India on issues connected with Sindhi Language and advising on education as may be referred to it.
- To undertake any other activity for the promotion of Sindhi Language as may be deemed fit by the Council.
- The constitution of India has enjoined upon the government of India to ensure the development of all languages included in the eighth schedule of the Indian Constitution.
- Sindhi is a one of the language among 22 languages in the VIII schedule of the Indian Constitution.
- It is spoken by a large number of people who, after migration from Sindhi due to partition of the country in
- 1947 have settled mainly in Gujarat, Maharashtra, Rajasthan, Madhya Pradesh, Uttar Pradesh and Delhi.
- Significant number of Sindhi speaking people reside in South India and in some other regions of the country.
- Among the modern Indian language, Sindhi is the only language which is not an official language of any particular state. Hence being a stateless language, special efforts are required for its growth and preservation of its literary heritage.
Sources: PIB, http://ncpsl.gov.in/.