The meeting of the foreign ministers of the P5+1 nations aimed to smoothen out major bumps in reaching a nuclear deal with Iran has ended with a positive note.
- The negotiations have mainly been over Iranian uranium enrichment and the pace of removing sanctions, which the US wants to stagger over time.
- Theese nations are trying to broker a deal with Iran to end a more than a decade-long standoff over the Islamic Republic’s nuclear programme in return for an easing of sanctions.
- Iran, however, has maintained that its nuclear programme is for peaceful purposes.
- The P5+1 is a group of six world powers which in 2006 joined the diplomatic efforts with Iran with regard to its nuclear program.
- The group includes 5 permanent members of UNSC and Germany.
- Five permanent members of the UN Security Council are United States, Russia, China, United Kingdom, and France.
Sources: BS, Wiki.