The Union Home Minister recently in Rajya Sabha said that the Crime and Criminal Tracking Network and Systems (CCTNS) project is lagging behind the schedule because of the following reasons:
- States/UTs took time in preparation and finalisation of Request for Proposal (RFPs) for selection of State System Integrator (SI).
- SI selection in some of the States/UTs got delayed.
- In some of the States/UTs there was delay in handing over the sites to SI.
- In some of the States/UTs there were issues in execution of project by SI.
- Delay in establishment of National Data Centre due to technical issues in Core Application Software.
- Originally developed Core Application Software had to undergo lot of changes due to performance issues and additional functional requirements from field units.
- Delay in commissioning of WiMax and VSAT sites.
- Crime and Criminal Tracking Network and Systems (CCTNS) is a project initiated in June 2009 which aims at creating a comprehensive and integrated system for enhancing the efficiency and effectiveness of policing at the Police Station level through adoption of principles of e-Governance, and creation of a nationwide networked infrastructure for evolution of IT-enabled state-of-the-art tracking system around “investigation of crime and detection of criminals”.
- It is a Mission Mode Project (MMP) under the National e-Governance Plan of Govt. of India.
- It will not only automate Police functions at Police station and higher levels but will also create facilities and mechanism to provide public services like registration of online complaints, ascertaining the status of case registered at the police station, verification of persons etc.
- The project timelines is till March 2015 with provision of one year extension.