- US President recently announced an easing of the process to obtain L-1B work visas for corporate executives, a move that could end the large scale harassment of IT professionals from India and make it easier for companies there to bring employees to America.
- Large scale decline of L-1 visas was a major hindrance in Indian companies investing in the US.
Allows corporations to temporarily move workers from a foreign office to a U.S. office in a faster, simpler way.
- This visa is a non-immigrant visa which allows companies operating both in the US and abroad to transfer certain classes of employee from its foreign operations to the US operations for up to seven years.
- These are given for workers with specialized knowledge.
- The employee must have worked for a subsidiary, parent, affiliate or branch office of US company outside of the US for at least one year out of the last three years.
Benefits for the US:
- This could benefit hundreds of thousands of non-immigrant workers and their employers, that in turn, will benefit the US economy and spur additional investment
- It would attract larger foreign direct investment to the U.S.
Sources: The Hindu, BS.