The Chinese government has issued a white paper on southwest China’s Tibet Autonomous Region, applauding its development path and denouncing the “middle way” advocated by the Dalai Lama.
Details of the White Paper:
- The white paper, under the title “Tibet’s Path of Development Is Driven by an Irresistible Historical Tide”, holds that Tibet’s current development path is correct.
- It says that Tibet’s continual progress on its present path of development is an objective requirement of modern civilization.
- It accords with the progressive trend of human society, the prevailing conditions and the current reality in China, and the fundamental interests of all ethnic groups in Tibet.
- The report accuses the Dalai group of being opportunistic in the talks with the central government.
- The report presents a rich collection of evidence to prove that the Dalai Lama and his supporters have never abandoned the use of violence to promote their ultimate goal of “Tibetan independence”.
- China has also said that greater autonomy for Tibet was not up for discussion and has accused the spiritual leader of backing “ethnic cleansing”.
- Beijing uses this progress as evidence that its rule over Tibet is the only possible path for development.
- Any person or force that attempts to resist the tide will simply be cast aside by history and by the people.
Sources: The Hindu, BS.