The Indian Navy recently launched the stealth destroyer INS Visakhapatnam at Mumbai’s Mazagon dock.
INS Visakhapatnam is the first of P15-B stealth destroyers.
- The 163 m long ship, which will be propelled by four gas turbines, is designed to achieve a speed of over 30 knots at a displacement of approximately 7300 tons.
- This indigenously designed stealth destroyer will have
- state-of-the-art weapons,
- an advance Action Information System,
- in Integrated Platform Management system,
- sophisticated Power Distribution System
- host of other advanced features
- It will be fitted with supersonic surface-to-surface missile system.
- The system enables the ship to engage shore-based and naval surface targets at long range making it a lethal platform for strike against enemy targets.
- The ship’s air defence capability, designed to counter the threat of enemy aircraft and anti-ship cruise missiles, will revolve around the vertical launch and long range surface to air missile system.
- Indigenously developed twin tube torpedo launchers and rocket launchers will add punch to the ship’s antisubmarine capability.
- The vessel is follow-on of P15A-Kolkota class destroyers with enhanced features.
Sources: The Hindu, Wiki.