The 14th edition of the Indo-French naval exercise (Varuna) recently concluded at Goa.
It was a 10 day long exercise and included both a harbour and sea phase.
VARUNA aims at deriving mutual benefit from the experiences of the two navies.
- The scope of Exercise VARUNA included the entire gamut of maritime operations ranging from
- Aircraft Carrier Operations,
- Anti Submarines Warfare Exercises,
- Maritime Interdiction Operations
- multi-ship replenishment exercise.
- The confidence gained through such exercises helps develop Standard Operating Procedures, particularly in the fields of Joint Maritime Air Operations Planning with exchange of Carrier Operational Capabilities.
- The exercise goes a long way in enhancing interoperability between the two navies and also showcases the close ties between the two countries.
Sources: The Hindu.