The Union Home Minister has congratulated the teams of National Disaster Response Force (NDRF) for their exemplary work done in rescue and relief operations in recent earthquake in Nepal.
- Indian relief and rescue teams were the first to reach Nepal immediately to join hands with friendly neighbor in their hour of need.
- The Disaster Management Act has made STATUTORY provisions for the constitution of National Disaster Response Force (NDRF) for the purpose of specialized response to natural and man-made disasters.
Why was it constituted?
- Two national calamities in quick succession in the form of
- Orissa Super Cyclone (1999) and
- Gujarat Earthquake (2001)
brought about the realization of the need of having a specialist response mechanism at National Level to effectively respond to disasters.
- This realization led to the enactment of the DM Act on 26 Dec 2005.
- NDRF has been proving its importance by highly skilled rescue and relief operations, regular and intensive training and re-training, capacity building & familiarization exercises within the area of responsibility, carrying out mock drills and joint exercises with the various stakeholders.
ROLE AND MANDATE OF NDRF:
- Specialized response during disasters
- Proactive deployment during impending disaster situations
- Acquire and continually upgrade its own training and skills
- Liaison, Reconnaissance, Rehearsals and Mock Drills
- Impart basic and operational level training to State Response Forces (Police, Civil Defence and Home
- Community Capacity Building Programme
- Public Awareness Campaign
- Exhibitions : Posters, Pamphlets, literatures
Why it is said to be a UNIQUE Force?
- It is the only dedicated disaster response force of the world.
- The only agency with comprehensive response capabilities having mulch-disciplinary and multi-skilled, high-tech, stand alone nature.
- Experienced paramilitary personnel specially trained and equipped for disaster response.
- Capabilities for undertaking disaster response, prevention, mitigation and capacity building.
- The NDRF works under the National Disaster Management Authority (NDMA) which lays down the policies, plans and guidelines for disaster management.
Sources: PIB, ndrfandcd.gov.in.