Achal Kumar Jyoti recently took over as the new Election Commissioner, filling one of the two vacancies in the three-member body.
- Election Commissioner of India is a member of Election Commission of India, a body constitutionally empowered to conduct free and fair elections to the national and state legislatures.
- He is usually a member of the Indian Civil Service and mostly from the Indian Administrative Service.
- He has a tenure of six years in office or till he or she attains the age of 65 years, whichever is earlier.
- The President of India based on a recommendation from the Government of India appoints the Election Commissioners.
- Election Commissioners can be removed by the President on recommendation of the Chief Election Commissioner.
Sources: The Hindu, Wiki.