Maharashtra Chief Minister recently said that the Jaitapur Nuclear Power Park will roll through, come what may, sending a strong signal to the Shiv Sena that opposes the project.
Jaitapur project- some facts:
- It is a proposed 9900 MW power project of Nuclear Power Corporation of India (NPCIL) at Madban village of Ratnagiri district in Maharashtra.
- If built, it would be the largest nuclear power generating station in the world by net electrical power rating.
- Reactor type: European Pressurized Reactor/Evolutionary Power Reactor.
- Reactor supplier: Areva, French state-controlled nuclear engineering firm.
- In December 2010 an agreement was signed for the construction of first set of two third-generation European Pressurized Reactors and the supply of nuclear fuel for 25 years in the presence of French president Nicolas Sarkozy and Indian Prime Minister Manmohan Singh.
- Since Jaitapur being seismically sensitive area, the danger of an earthquake has been foremost on the minds of people. According to the Earthquake hazard zoning of India, Jaitapur comes under Zone III. This zone is called the moderate Risk Zone. Hence, citizens of the area are questioning about safety.
Sources: The Hindu, Wiki.