The government of India recently launched the Khoya Paya web portal.
About the Portal:
- The Khoya Paya portal is a citizen based website to exchange information on missing and found children.
- It has been developed by the Ministry of Women and Child Development and the Department of Electronics and Information Technology (DeitY).
- The Khoya Paya website is an enabling platform, where citizens can report missing children, as well as sightings of their whereabouts without wasting much time.
- The ‘Found’ children can also be reported on this web portal. The reporting can be done through text, photographs, videos and other means of transmitting and uploading information to the KhoyaPaya site.
- Information about missing and sighted children can be uploaded at Khoyapaya.gov.in.
The missing children are a cause of deep concern not only for the Government but also for the child protection institutions, society and above all for the parents. These children are vulnerable to the mental and physical assault which leads to mental trauma for these children. Most of the missing children are trafficked for labour, for sexual exploitation, abducted, or kidnapped, or due to crimes against children. They could be runaways from home, or simply be lost. This is the reason that it is not only important to get the information related to these missing children, but it is equally important that the information is exchanged speedily to locate the children. The Khoyapaya web portal will facilitate in the speedy reporting of missing and found children.
Jharkhand tops the list of states which see cases of missing children and those of child trafficking. These children mostly end up working as child labour in big cities or are thrown into sex trade. In almost all these cases, the families of such children are extremely poor, illiterate and can’t even afford three meals a day.