Andhra Pradesh Chief Minister N. Chandrababu Naidu recently said that he would get the Kadapa airport named after the saint-poet, Tallapaka Annamacharya.
About Tallapaka Annamacharya:
- He was a 15th-century Hindu saint and is the earliest known Indian musician to compose songs called sankirtanas in praise of the god Venkateswara, a form of Vishnu.
- The musical form of the keertana songs that he composed, which are still popular among Carnatic music concert artists, have strongly influenced the structure of Carnatic music compositions.
- He was born in Tallapaka, a village in Kadapa district of Andhra Pradesh, India.
- Annamacharya is remembered for his saintly life, and is honoured as a great devotee of Vishnu by devotees and saintly singers.
- He is believed to have been the avatar of Nandaka, the sword of Vishnu.
- He is widely regarded as the Andhra Pada kavitā Pitāmaha(Godfather of Telugu song-writing).
- Tirumala Tirupati Devasthanams, also known as TTD, has been endeavouring to preserve the rich heritage of his compositions.
Sources: The Hindu, Wiki.