Minister of State in the Department of Atomic Energy, Dr. Jitendra Singh recently launched an Augmented Reality application named ‘Sakaar’ to highlight the achievements of the Department of Space during one year in office of the present Government.
- DECU-ISRO has developed this application for Android devices.
- Sakaar consists of 3D models of MOM, RISAT, rockets (PSLV, GSLV Mk-III); videos of INSAT 3D-predicting cyclones, GSLV D5/Cryo, Mars Orbiter Mission (MOM) orbit insertion, launch video of MOM, 360 degree animated view of MOM; Anaglyph of Mars surface.
- The Multimedia content which is embedded in the Sakaar app is generated with the support of multimedia & editing facilities of DECU-ISRO.
What is Augmented Reality (AR)?
- Augmented Reality is a live direct view of a physical, real-world environment whose elements are augmented (or supplemented) by computer-generated 3D models, animations, videos etc. The technology enhances user’s current perception of reality.
- Augmentation is in real time and the information is overlaid on the live view of the device’s camera.
- Essentially, AR requires three elements: Android device with back camera, AR application, AR Markers.
Sources: The Hindu, Wiki.